Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I Still Cannot Believe This Story

2 posters

:: Main :: Current Events

Go down

I Still Cannot Believe This Story Empty I Still Cannot Believe This Story

Post by TexasBlue Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:21 pm

I Still Cannot Believe This Story

Neal Boortz
June 3, 2011

It’s the Alameda, California story. I’m sure you’ve heard about it. A somewhat deranged 53-year-old man commits suicide by walking into the San Francisco Bay while Alameda firemen and policemen stand on the beach and do absolutely nothing.

Well, that’s not quite fair .. they did do something. While the man was out there drowning they talked to his mother and asked for her name, his name, and other information. Why didn’t they go into the water and save this guy? Policy. The city employees did not have the training to do a water rescue … so policy said they were not permitted to go into the water to save this guy. Alameda is an island, by the way --- and their first responders weren’t allowed to do water rescues.

This is government. This is how governments operate. This is how governments wield their power. The more power and influence we allow governments to have over our lives, the more we will encounter incidents like the Alameda suicide.

TexasBlue
TexasBlue

I Still Cannot Believe This Story Admin210

Back to top Go down

I Still Cannot Believe This Story Empty Re: I Still Cannot Believe This Story

Post by dblboggie Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:00 pm

I saw this story on the news the other day. It is completely beyond belief that anyone could be that callous or mindless. It was an amazing display of the insanity that government employees are capable of. That these government employees, so-called first responders no less, could stand by and watch a man drown should send chills down the spines of every American in this country.
dblboggie
dblboggie

I Still Cannot Believe This Story Senmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:32 pm

I find the contents of the story carried by the newspaper a bit different from Boortz depiction

From the newspaper link

Lynch said that Zack's state of mind was unknown. Witnesses on the scene reported talking to Zack, who implied he was ok and did not want assistance. Lynch said that the operation was a rescue, and while there have been times over the years when officers have gone into the water, the police department has never had land-water rescue capability.

However, AFD Interim Chief Mike D'Orazi said that, due to the suicide, the area was a crime scene, and thus under APD's jurisdiction.

AFD command staff requested additional resources from the U.S. Coast Guard and other agencies. The Coast Guard dispatched a 25-foot propeller-driven rescue vessel and a helicopter. But Zack stood in water too shallow for the boat to reach. The helicopter was involved in another mission and had to return to Air Station San Francisco to refuel.

Before the chopper arrived, Zack lost consciousness and began to drift toward shore.

Due to a policy created in 2009, because AFD is not certified in land-based water rescues, no firefighter may enter the water, according to D'Orazi. However, none of the other agencies on-scene, including the Alameda County Fire Department, Oakland Fire Department, Alameda County Sheriff, Oakland Police or East Bay Regional Park Police District, were able to provide additional rescue capabilities.

The 2009 AFD policy is now changed. Entering the water will now be a decision left to the commander on scene, D'Orazi said.

They did try to save him. They had no training in how to do so.

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:06 pm

That is just nonsense. If any of them knew how to swim there is no excuse for just standing around waiting for help that you know is not going to come in time. You get your ass out there in the water and at least TRY to help the poor bastard!
dblboggie
dblboggie

I Still Cannot Believe This Story Senmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down