Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bachmann takes glitter protest in stride

2 posters

:: Main :: Politics

Go down

Bachmann takes glitter protest in stride Empty Bachmann takes glitter protest in stride

Post by TexasBlue Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:29 am

Bachmann takes glitter protest in stride

Paul Walsh
Minneapolis Star Tribune
June 18, 2011

Michele Bachmann is the latest presidential hopeful who has been "glittered."

The Minnesota Congress member was the target of a one-woman glitter toss Saturday as Bachmann strode across the stage in downtown Minneapolis after giving a speech during the two-day pump-up of conservatives at the RightOnline Conference.

The protest was carried out by Minneapolis gay-rights activist Rachel E.B. Lang, who approached Bachmann and twice flung glitter toward her.

Bachmann continued her stride unbroken and kept her eyes fixed on people she intended to greet.

"You can run, but you can't hide," Lang shouted as a member of security hustled her away.

"My response to Michele Bachmann's hateful and anti-gay rhetoric was light-hearted, but these issues are very serious," Lang said in a statement issued in a news release. "Bachmann's support of groups like 'You Can Run But You Cannot Hide' show exactly how extremist she is -- she in no way represents the values of Minnesota and certainly does not represent the values of America."

Lang's choice of words was in reference to the "You Can Run But You Cannot Hide" ministry that is pushing for a ban on same-sex marriage in Minnesota.

On Thursday in San Francisco, former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty was the target of two women who dumped pink glitter and feathers on the presidential candidate as he signed copies of his book, "Courage to Stand."

A similar scene played out last month at a Minneapolis hotel, when GOP presidential candidate Newt Gingrich and his wife, Callista were showered with glittery confetti by a protester during a book-signing.

Lang, who is straight but has numerous gay relatives, said she's pleased to welcome Bachmann "into the Glitter Hall of Fame and, until these politicians stop their anti-gay attacks on families like mine, people will continue to stand up for equality and the freedom to love whoever they want."
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Bachmann takes glitter protest in stride Admin210

Back to top Go down

Bachmann takes glitter protest in stride Empty Re: Bachmann takes glitter protest in stride

Post by TexasBlue Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:34 am

Number one, I have no respect for people who do shit like this to any candidate (or anyone for that matter) that they disagree with. It's dumb, it's childish and it does NOTHING to further their cause (gay rights). In fact, all it does is send it back one step for every step forward they make.

Two, she's lucky she wasn't shot. I hope they give this radical some time in the jail. Sure, glitter is cute. But a person close enough to toss glitter on a candidate is also close enough to toss what else? Piss? A handful of dog shit? Contaminated blood? Hydrochloric acid? And maybe next time, it's a Democrat that gets the splash? Still funny? Still legitimate protest? "Hey, it was only glitter," you say. How about, "Hey, the gun only had blanks in it." Or "It wasn't really battery acid, just cat piss and tabasco."

Still cute?

I just dont get the hate and intolerance of these radical gay people. They want others to be tolerant of them. But if you dare disagree wit therm (which I don't), then you get shit thrown at you.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Bachmann takes glitter protest in stride Empty Re: Bachmann takes glitter protest in stride

Post by kronos Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:52 pm

I'd say it qualifies as assault. If Bachmann saw someone throw something at her, and felt it go over her, and didn't know what it was, she might reasonably believe she was in imminent physical danger.

kronos

Bachmann takes glitter protest in stride Junmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:21 pm

kronos wrote:I'd say it qualifies as assault. If Bachmann saw someone throw something at her, and felt it go over her, and didn't know what it was, she might reasonably believe she was in imminent physical danger.

That's how I see it. No word if the perp was arrested.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down