Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flight Simulator

+3
The_Amber_Spyglass
TexasBlue
i_luv_miley
7 posters

:: General :: Video Games

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Flight Simulator - Page 2 Empty Re: Flight Simulator

Post by TexasBlue Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:08 am

Pretty primitive. lol
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Flight Simulator - Page 2 Admin210

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:21 am

The clue is in the title Excel 1997
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Flight Simulator - Page 2 Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:06 pm

The_Amber_Spyglass wrote:The clue is in the title Excel 1997

Obviously. It's just funny how primitive things were just 13 years ago.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:08 pm

It was primitive even by 1997 standards though, it was just buried within the programme.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:12 pm

The_Amber_Spyglass wrote:It was primitive even by 1997 standards though, it was just buried within the programme.

Kinda like Google Earth's sim. It's bad. Heck even the FS 2004 that I used to play is outdated now.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheNextPrez2012 Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:00 pm

Here's a picture of Korean Air at Heathrow

Flight Simulator - Page 2 Th_32039_aa_122_465lo
TheNextPrez2012
TheNextPrez2012

Flight Simulator - Page 2 Junmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by bigger_guns_nearby Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:56 pm

Interesting thread guys!

I played a lot of flight simulator about 5 years ago. The reason I could never fully get into the IFR stuff and big planes is that I couldn't be bothered investing £150 in a proper joystick/throttle/rudder pedals set-up. I think you need that to properly appreciate it. It's lame trying to set the throttles when your 'throttle' is a crappy joystick slider thing, lol. And if you're not using pedals you're not getting a true approximation of what it's like to fly.

My main addiction used to be Falcon 4.0 in its various permutations, though. I have to avoid Falcon now because I can start playing it one evening and before I know it its 3 a.m. It's a dangerous addiction.

Big Grin
bigger_guns_nearby
bigger_guns_nearby

Flight Simulator - Page 2 Newmem10

Birthday : 1985-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:07 pm

bigger_guns_nearby wrote:Interesting thread guys!

I played a lot of flight simulator about 5 years ago. The reason I could never fully get into the IFR stuff and big planes is that I couldn't be bothered investing £150 in a proper joystick/throttle/rudder pedals set-up. I think you need that to properly appreciate it. It's lame trying to set the throttles when your 'throttle' is a crappy joystick slider thing, lol. And if you're not using pedals you're not getting a true approximation of what it's like to fly.

My main addiction used to be Falcon 4.0 in its various permutations, though. I have to avoid Falcon now because I can start playing it one evening and before I know it its 3 a.m. It's a dangerous addiction.

Big Grin

Flight Simulator - Page 2 2lm3o5e I love Falcon 4! I used to play that now and again, and apart from MSFS, it was the only "game" on my computer.
dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by bigger_guns_nearby Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:23 pm

dblboggie wrote:

Big Grin

Flight Simulator - Page 2 2lm3o5e I love Falcon 4! I used to play that now and again, and apart from MSFS, it was the only "game" on my computer.

Do you remember the manual? It was 600 pages thick, hahaha. They don't make games like that anymore! Smile

Not sure if you follow it, but there is still a remarkably active modding community for Falcon. I downloaded Free Falcon 5 last year to have a look, the graphics are excellent and you can fly pretty much anything. AFAIK, no other game has come close to rivaling Falcon's dynamic campaign generator. Not bad for a game that's over 12 years old!

Sadly flight simulators are looking like one of the early casualties in the console-ization of video gaming. 'Hardcore' flight simulators require immense development time and technical expertise, and as video game budgets get higher and margins smaller, most major production houses aren't willing to gamble on niche products. I once read about how Microsoft made almost nothing from FS, it was essentially art for art's sake. IMHO it's possibly the best software Microsoft ever produced.
bigger_guns_nearby
bigger_guns_nearby

Flight Simulator - Page 2 Newmem10

Birthday : 1985-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:32 pm

bigger_guns_nearby wrote:
dblboggie wrote:

Big Grin

Do you remember the manual? It was 600 pages thick, hahaha. They don't make games like that anymore! Smile

Not sure if you follow it, but there is still a remarkably active modding community for Falcon. I downloaded Free Falcon 5 last year to have a look, the graphics are excellent and you can fly pretty much anything. AFAIK, no other game has come close to rivaling Falcon's dynamic campaign generator. Not bad for a game that's over 12 years old!

Sadly flight simulators are looking like one of the early casualties in the console-ization of video gaming. 'Hardcore' flight simulators require immense development time and technical expertise, and as video game budgets get higher and margins smaller, most major production houses aren't willing to gamble on niche products. I once read about how Microsoft made almost nothing from FS, it was essentially art for art's sake. IMHO it's possibly the best software Microsoft ever produced.

Not only do I remember that manual, I still have it! It was unbelievable! If you actually studied and mastered that manual, I truly believe that you could actually manage to get a real Falcon off the ground and back with no further training.

I'm afraid you are right about the future of flight sims... it is really sad. I've never been into all these other games and the only other simulator I checked out was a NASCAR sim... but making a non-stop left turn just left me bored to death... Snicker

And I would agree, MSFS is without question the coolest thing MS has ever produced. I read somewhere that it was actually used by the military some time ago as part of flight training... that's how good it was.
dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:24 am

The first flight simulator (true simulator, not just a game about flying aircraft) was 'Dambusters' on the Amstrad 464. There was nine separate screens (press 1 TO view the cockpit, 2 being left view window, 4, being the front gunner... all the way up to 9 which was the bomb bay) I guess the title needs no explanation but it used practically the entire keyboard and the joystick, each button had a different function. It was so complex and looking back it was probably way ahead of its time.

Here's details of the Spectrum version.

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0001229
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2