Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obama's latest headaches: Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Iran

5 posters

:: Main :: Politics

Go down

Obama's latest headaches: Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Iran Empty Obama's latest headaches: Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Iran

Post by TexasBlue Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:10 pm

Obama's latest headaches: Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Iran

David Jackson
USA Today
Mar 15, 2011

A nuclear crisis in Japan, civil war in Libya and budget battles on Capitol Hill -- a busy time for President Obama.

And now a new major headache that's not getting much attention because of all the others: Saudi Arabian troops in neighboring Bahrain, seeking to protect the Sunni monarchy there.

Iran criticized what it termed "an invasion" and called the Saudi move "unacceptable" -- basically, in the words of The New York Times, "threatening to escalate a local political conflict into a regional showdown with Iran."

The Obama administration is already battling with Iran over its nuclear program.

Iran is a Shiite government that backs the Shiite majority in Bahrain against its Sunni rulers.

Saudi Arabia, which is Sunni, has made it clear it will not accept a Shiite government next door in Bahrain.

Saudi Arabia, you'll recall, is a large supplier of U.S. oil.

Yes -- a busy time for President Obama.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Obama's latest headaches: Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Iran Admin210

Back to top Go down

Obama's latest headaches: Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Iran Empty Re: Obama's latest headaches: Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Iran

Post by TexasBlue Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:11 pm

Might as well go golfing then. ROFL

Seriously, we should just butt the f*ck out of all this shit.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Obama's latest headaches: Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Iran Admin210

Back to top Go down

Obama's latest headaches: Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Iran Empty Re: Obama's latest headaches: Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Iran

Post by BubbleBliss Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:41 am

I do believe, that the international community has a responsibilty, to ensure that government do not wage wars on their own people, as seen in Libya. I am very disappointed, that Germany will not be part of the no-fly zone in Libya. I think that with our history, Germany has a responsibility to stop genocide wherever it can.
I am very interested in what will happen in Bahrain, Yemend and Jordan though. Seems like Sadi-Arabia is also heating up and I wouldn't be surprised if protests would flare up in Iran as well.
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Obama's latest headaches: Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Iran Junmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by bigger_guns_nearby Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:40 pm

TexasBlue wrote:Iran is a Shiite government that backs the Shiite majority in Bahrain against its Sunni rulers.

Saudi Arabia, which is Sunni, has made it clear it will not accept a Shiite government next door in Bahrain.

slapping head

People say nothing can solve the Middle East problem. Not mediation, not arms, not financial aid.
I say there is something. Atheism. Suddenly everyone would be looking at each other thinking,
'What the fuck were we doing? That was insane! Why are we all wearing these ridiculous hats? Were we drunk?'
- Frankie Boyle on the Middle East
bigger_guns_nearby
bigger_guns_nearby

Obama's latest headaches: Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Iran Newmem10

Birthday : 1985-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:01 am

BubbleBliss wrote:I do believe, that the international community has a responsibilty, to ensure that government do not wage wars on their own people, as seen in Libya.
I agree. This is what the UN should be about.

BubbleBliss wrote:I am very disappointed, that Germany will not be part of the no-fly zone in Libya. I think that with our history, Germany has a responsibility to stop genocide wherever it can.
Why have they chosen not to get involved?
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Obama's latest headaches: Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Iran Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BubbleBliss Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:14 am

The_Amber_Spyglass wrote:
BubbleBliss wrote:I do believe, that the international community has a responsibilty, to ensure that government do not wage wars on their own people, as seen in Libya.
I agree. This is what the UN should be about.

BubbleBliss wrote:I am very disappointed, that Germany will not be part of the no-fly zone in Libya. I think that with our history, Germany has a responsibility to stop genocide wherever it can.
Why have they chosen not to get involved?

Beats me. The official explanation is "because Germany doesn't want to get involved in a long, drawn out military conflict that is not in Germany's primary interest."
However, Germany has agreed to increase air missions in Afghanistan, to allow other NATO States to shift some of their aircrafts from Afghanistan to Libya. Not a smart move, considering that the outcome is the same in the sense of Germany flying more missions, yet now we have to fly more planes to Afghanistan, which is a lot farther away than Libya....
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Back to top Go down

Post by kronos Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:49 am

BubbleBliss wrote:I think that with our history, Germany has a responsibility to stop genocide wherever it can.

How is this genocide?

kronos

Back to top Go down

Post by kronos Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:53 am

bigger_guns_nearby wrote:
TexasBlue wrote:Iran is a Shiite government that backs the Shiite majority in Bahrain against its Sunni rulers.

slapping head

People say nothing can solve the Middle East problem. Not mediation, not arms, not financial aid.
I say there is something. Atheism. Suddenly everyone would be looking at each other thinking,
'What the fuck were we doing? That was insane! Why are we all wearing these ridiculous hats? Were we drunk?'
- Frankie Boyle on the Middle East

It is incomprehensible from where I'm sitting. As far I understand it, the actual theological differences between Sunni and Shi'a are just about nil, differing only in their views as to who should lead the umma.

kronos

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:55 am

But that small difference has been the cause of a lot of suffering on both sides conducted by the other.

And never underestimate both Sunni and Shia capacity to oppress Sufis.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Obama's latest headaches: Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Iran Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down